Sunday, February 22, 2009

To Serve & Protect

We have had some delicate situations happening simultaneously lately. It has caused me to put my book on the back burner, not only because I have had to deal with these personal concerns (although those seem to be pushed aside as well), but also because the book brings up emotions I sometimes find difficult to feel back to back. Chapters go much more quickly than life.
It's interesting writing. If you have an emotional connection with the topic you are writing about, or the characters, you automatically feel their sorrow, happiness, nostalgia, etc. When you have emotional events going on in your personal life, writing can either take your mind off the personal gloom, or it can put a damper on your private joys.


My husband is currently sitting in a meeting with his coworkers and the sheriff, finding out the fate of his employment. He has been a loyal, non-discriminatory, stand-up deputy sheriff for nearly five years now. The rumor is that the office will be laying off 15 employees. Eight cuts have already been made. Joel is the fourth deputy from the bottom of the hiring list. He does not have much seniority. He just sent me a text, telling me that the meeting is not even close to being adjourned. Those poor men and women have been in that room for four hours now. Like Joel, many of the deputies have families, homes, car payments and many other expenses, and like Joel, they thought, until two days ago, that their positions as DEPUTIES were safe and secure.


I was stunned when Joel first told me. I am still stunned. Hopefully tonight we will have some answers. The waiting is the worst part. Every time I have heard about a company laying their workers off, I have pictured our family in that position, and have felt so terrible for those workers. I never truly understood the severity of their situation until now. Now I get it. Now I understand why people go to extremes. We are not the type, but I understand.


Whatever Joel finds out, I am going to be there for him. We will get through this. My pay will not support our family. Thankfully my dad owns his own business and Joel can help him out. How long will the layoffs be? Maybe we'll have some clearer picture at some point. I do know that if Joel is laid off, they have to give us two-weeks prior notice. I also know that we will have some trying times ahead.


My book is going to find it's way right back up the "Thing To Do" list. I'm sure many great writers have trials and tribulations, and still manage to find time and courage to write. I just need to be stronger... for my family and me.


Update: Because of my husband's awesome coworkers (don't read previous post about them being cheaters, etc.), Joel and the other deputies will be KEEPING their jobs. Joel is STILL in the meeting five hours later, and will probably be there until his shift begins at 11pm, but he is satisfied. Pay cuts will be happening, but because of the wonderful commodore, the deputies all agreed to forego their raises this year in order for everyone to keep their jobs. Now THAT'S a team!God Bless You All!

Some Cop Humor: A policeman stops a lady and asks for her license. He says "Lady, it says here that you should be wearing glasses."The woman answered "Well, I have contacts."The policeman replied "I don't care who you know! You're getting a ticket!"

No comments:

Post a Comment