Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Quotable

I've heard many quotes. I've jotted them down, kept them, believed them, lived them. Quotes are amazing... if you really comprehend them.

Some quotes are more difficult to understand, and take a few glances to touch our hearts... at least for me... but I tend to be a bit slow...

I am going to start posting a quote of the day. I have learned that when I hear a quote, or read one, it often touches me in that moment... you know... similar to the horoscope section of the newspaper some people live by? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Sometimes quotes hit us just right, and we remember that line throughout the day. This happened to me just today.

Quote of the Day:
Friends are the family we choose

I find this to be very true. I have had many friends in my life. I have not been the perfect friend. I have learned and grown, and I now believe I am worthy of their friendship. That was not always the case...

The friends who believed in me kept me around, and I thank them for that. The ones who let me go, or I had to let go of, because I was once very easily influenced, are gone. The good news is, if they come back into my life, I'm ready! I have more of a grip now. Tell me to jump off a bridge... I'll look at you like you're nuts... well, unless we're going skinny dipping, then I might say "hell yeah!"

I have older friends, younger friends, new friends and 'classic' friends! We're not talking in car years here... if you are a 1999 model car, you are sooooo not a classic. But if you have been a true friend to someone for 10 years or more, I believe that friendship can move mountains... and run it's way through the obstacle course of life (Quotable?). Even newer friendships can do this, but those classic friends know us like nobody else. They are forever friends.

I have been on friend hiatuses in the past. I would hole up if I was having problems, and would emerge at some point ready to come out of my hermit shell. And guess what? My friends were there... the true ones... the classic ones.

I believe if we understand that no one is perfect, and we are able to tolerate imperfections, we can be true friends to others, and allow others to be frue friends to us. If not, the decision is made for us.

Friendship is a matter of choice, a matter of love, a matter of hope...
And I hope & choose to have my loving friends by my side for a very long time.

I love you all.

A Time to Talk
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am,
'What is it?'
No, not as there is a time talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.
-Robert Frost

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister! The quote is so true! I can't imagine my life without my friends. Some of my best experiences include some of my closest friends.

    ReplyDelete